Thursday, October 24, 2013

Geimastu Legend 10/24/13 -- The First Project!

Programming

PROJECT ONE

Idea: Simple text-adventure
Programming: Javascript in Notepad
Art: N/A
Music: N/A

As I started thinking when I was walking home this morning, with my current knowledge of JS it would actually be pretty easy to make a simple, 30 minute-or so long text adventure game using only JS. Since this is the first project though, combined with the fact that I have a lot of work to do this may be the only thing I end up doing today.

Once the game is finished, I'll probably just put it up as freeware on a separate page on this blog, assuming it even works.

So, as most games start I decided to add a basic "set-up" that showed who the game was by, what it was called, etc. Then right after I saved I realized something: I had no fucking idea how to run it.

I'd figure it was probably the console, but actually running it on the console confused me. I decided just to open up the code and see if I could open it with the console. After being distracted by all the different strange folders in the "My Documents" library, I opened up the right folder to see that it was already recognized as a javascript file.

Huh.
HUH.
Oh, fucking fantastic. Looks like whatever windows was trying to run doesn't even know what console.log is. Here's hoping codeacademy is telling the actual truth.

I'd figure my next best bet was to run the command prompt, which instead of doing something useful just closed instantly. I figure that my last hope was to run the program through the console, or to use the alternate return function. Surely that's got to do SOMETHING.

Did I mention I have to idea what the fuck I'm doing?
UPDATE 1:
I've tried a few other things and googled some, but it looks like no matter what I try the code still isn't running. I'm going to leave for now to finish that other work and try again later.

---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Number one rule: Don't be a dick.