Monday, September 9, 2013

The Basics of HTML [Part 1]

Well, as it turns out, thinking of stuff to put on a blog is a LOT harder than I intended, though that's probably just because I keep throwing it off until it's near midnight and by that point I want to sleep so I just make something short.


For this post, I'm going to actually try and do something that might be effective rather than filler and teach the basics of HTML! oh great

So what is HTML anyways? Well, it is the backbone to any website. When you draw a picture (take in mind this means actually intending to draw it well), you tend to start with a rough, light outline before you start on the details. In the case of web programming, HTML is the sketch and CSS is the details (we'll get into CSS later)

First of all, in order to run HTML code, you'll need to make a HTML file. This is actually really easy to do -- just open up TextEdit or Notepad and save it as a .html (this can be done just by adding a ".html" at the end and saving it as "any file".

Even though most of us with common sense know that if a file with ".html" at the end of it means its a HTML file, computers need a little more help, mostly because computers are fucking stupid (actually, let me rephrase that: computers are like children that start off mind-blowingly stupid,  but can end up knowing a lot as long as they stay away from the streets (...I don't know what the 'streets' would be computerwise...)). Because of this, we need to give them a little more guidance on what the file is, and that's why we start off every HTML code like this:

<!DOCTYPE html>

<html></html>

The "<!DOCTYPE html>" tells the computer "Okay, I know it says '.html' right outside the gate, but this is for SURE a html file." The actual <html> says "Everything inside these two brackets are ALL the code, ignore anything else." Pretty stupid I know, but like I said computers are special.

From there it gets pretty easy. <title> changes the title of the page (Notice how the top tab of this page probably says something like "Astuka's Blog"? Well, that's the "title" of the page.

<h1>, <h2>, and <h3> change normal text into headers. For example, if I put this into my code:

<h1> Titty Sprinkles </h1>

It would come out to be something like:

Titty Sprinkles

Then there's the pretty obvious ones like <b> for bold, <emp> for emphasis, and... uh... honestly I have no idea what the fuck underline is supposed to be.

Anywho, next time in Part 2 (if it happens) I will talk about more advanced HTML commands, such as <div> and <ul>/<ol>. For now, test out what you know! (just remember: just <p> to make a paragraph.)

---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Number one rule: Don't be a dick.