Wednesday, August 6, 2014

My reaction to Twitch's new Content ID system and the Google merge

(Posting on the Codex of Aegis meta-blog and the AstukaGaming Steam Community)

I know streaming has become a side-thing for me, but I'd figure I'd take the time to address this anyway.

Today, in preparation for the Google purchase, Twitch added two new “features” – a content ID system and the end of permanent archiving (at least for the foreseeable future). Both of these have obviously caused quite a stir, and although I doubt very many of you are wondering how this is going to effect my stream, I'll tell it anyway.

So far none of my previous highlights or broadcasts have been effected by this update, but its likely that once they do I might make a switch to somewhere else. This is simply because I don't condone either of this updates, and I don't like using services with major features I don't like. It's exactly the same for when I stopped buying EA games and stopped using Youtube as a viewer.

Will Twitch lose its fame once it becomes a more widened livestreaming service? It's highly doubtful. Just like Youtube, when something stays at the top for so long with such a gap between all other competitors, it's likely it will stay that way no matter what the criticism is. So, you may ask, why would I go away from Twitch if Youtube does the same and I still upload things there?

Three things.

One, there are no good substitutes for Youtube. Dailymotion is the Yahoo of streaming services. Vimeo, although it does have good video support and content, has a lack of competent browsing and search features. All the others, well, its safe to say they're far below.

Two, publicity. With Youtube, even if you don't advertise your video in anyway, you're guaranteed to get at least 20-30 views eventually. Even more if it's interesting material. You simply don't get that with Twitch – you HAVE to advertise with Twitch or else you won't get any newcomers. If that's the case, why bother hosting it on the popular website if it's the same for everything?

Three, the streaming brand isn't as important. Simple as that. I don't really have to get into how AstukaGaming is all fun and no gain because I already talked about it in my previous post. It's important for things that do have gain involved to be on the popular site, because people are more happy in clicking. This is a fact, because just recently (names voided) someone I know actually declined to see a video not because of its length or subject matter, but because of the website it was hosted on. That's right, if you're out there reading this, fuck you. I still haven't forgotten.


With these things in mind, you can hopefully see that it wouldn't be near as big of a blow in switching from Twitch to another website than it would be in switching from Youtube to somewhere else. That's the reason for change.

The next thing that comes up is the alternate streaming website in question. It's quite obvious, really. Some might have even thought I mentioned it previously, even though I have not – Hitbox.tv. It's a indie streaming service with the most modest of upbringings, and unlike other streaming services that have ended up being complete disasters (coughown3dcough) it doesn't try to strike a contract and its admin community seems friendly. Though, like twitch, I'm sure that will be eventually subject to change.
I'll be honest, I actually have zero experience with Hitbox.tv. All that I am aware is that many believe it is actually a better streaming website than Twitch, which is entirely possible. So here's the plan: Over the course of time I'll go and try out Hitbox.tv. If it really is more both streamer AND viewer friendly than Twitch, I'll make the switch (heh) otherwise I'll likely just stay on Twitch and endure.


Anyway, that's all for now. Remember to follow my Twitter @JohnMcGroover (the only thing that will be staying the same despite any moving) and check out the main website, Codex of Aegis (The “main website” link up top if you're viewing on the blog; http://landofeternallife.blogspot.com if anywhere else.)

---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Number one rule: Don't be a dick.