Monday, March 7, 2016

Academy Awards 2016 Recap

Oh, yeah. The Academy Awards happened. Anyway, I figured I'd make a response video to my predictions (not hopefuls to keep it short) on what I thought would win versus what actually won. I'm also only doing the major awards, since those are the only ones that are important/I remember the winners to.

"Best Picture: The Martian"
No idea why in the world I chose this one to win. I knew it wouldn't be Mad Max (not drama) and I also knew it wouldn't be The Revenant (very few directors have gotten Best Picture twice in a row). I guess people still liked The Martian at this point so I just figured it was the best throwaway answer? Spotlight winning did surprise me at the time, but looking back on it now it seemed really obvious.  The movie 100% passed the Oscar checklist, and it also wasn't Mad Max or The Revenant.













"Actor in a Leading Role: Eddie Redmayne"




Also no idea why I chose Redmayne over DiCaprio. Though it would be hilarious to see Redmayne win over Leo in another oscar-bait role, Leo was obvious from the very beginning. Seriously, the entire Oscars promotion leading up to the Show (even in the Pre-Show) was hyping up DiCaprio's win. If you didn't see this coming, welcome to the Academy Awards, cause this must be your first time.







"Actress in a Leading Role: Cate Blanchett"
I don't even remember who won this award. I think it was Allison Brie? Wasn't she in a comedy movie once? Eh, whatever.

"Actor in a Supporting Role: Tom Hardy"
I think this went to some dude who played a Russian in Bridge of Spies won this award. To be fair, I heard a lot of people say that he was the only reason they stayed awake for that movie, and his reel footage seemed pretty good, so maybe the award was well deserved.

"Actress in a Supporting Role: Rooney Mara"
This was kind of a throwaway pick as well. I knew Jennifer Jason Leigh likely wasn't going to win the award, but I didn't really see anyone else who would've gotten it besides Mara who was probably the most popular person in the list. Instead, they gave it to Vikander. Not much special with this award.

"Animated Feature Film: Inside Out"
They just can't keep getting away with it! Okay, sure -- maybe it was weird for Anomalisa to be there in the first place. And Ghibli's bid this year wasn't as good as its been in the past. But this Disney-Pixar domination in the Animated category is just straight up getting dull. I wouldn't be surprised if they flip it next year and give it to someone else.

"Directing: George Miller"
This was probably the biggest (unfortunate) surprise of the night. Not only did Innaritu (?) seem unlikely to win Director two years in a row, but George Miller actually had a pretty strong case for Best Director, seeing as he had been working on the film for such a long time. It's not that I don't like Innaritu, its just that I don't think he deserved the award this time around.

"Documentary Feature: The Look of Silence"
Another fairly unfortunate surprise. I mean seriously, who cares about Amy Winehouse? Besides, The Look of Silence also fit perfectly into the criteria the Academy uses to choose winners, and yet it lost anyway.

"Foreign Language Film: Son of Saul"
Fortunately, no surprises here -- Son of Saul did win. To be fair, none of the other films in this list had any traction, so if there was a surprise in this category, it would be a pretty big surprise in deed.

---

Twitter: @CodexofAegis
Facebook: facebook.com/CodexofAegis 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Number one rule: Don't be a dick.